Filed under: Outdoor Lifestyles | Tags: Evening by the Pond, Moonlight Pond Party, Pond Club Meeting
Come join the Carters for a ‘Evening by the Pond”
We have a FUN event coming up next Thursday evening that I hope you can make it out too! We call these events – ‘Evenings By The Pond’ and they are a great venue for Outdoor lovers and pond lovers to socialize together, talk about their plants and fish and enjoy each others little piece of PARADISE.
Thursday, May 19th @ 6:30 pm Mark, Jo, Jacob & the Carter family are sharing their piece of paradise with YOU. Mark will be grilling for everyone & Jo will be making some sweet treats too 😊
The Ponds, Gardens & Nursery will be open for your private enjoyment & You are invited to come out & partake in some good food & fun.
Shane & the guys will be there to have an educational discussion on the lighter side about water features too, so If you have a water feature and want to talk a little shop, or would like to see what one is all about, this is a great chance to find out. Bring a friend or two and come on out!
Give me or Jo a call at the Nursery 1-731-424-2206 to let me know your coming (RSVP) and I will make sure there is plenty of food for ALL! Come join us for a ‘Evening by the Pond”.
~ Mark Carter
Filed under: Butterfly House | Tags: Butterfly Garden Design, Butterfly House, Butterfly Plants, Butterfly Release, Butterfly Workshop
Butterfly Workshop and Release 6/4/2016
Great guest speakers, information on creating your own butterfly garden & a LIVE BUTTERFLY RELEASE are on the agenda! Bring the kids AND bring a CAMERA! Don’t miss this one! Call for more info and to get your name on the list for a Butterfly to Personally Release! #731-424-2206 – ask for Jo.
We have a Great speaker to teach you all about ‘HOW TO’ attract these beautiful creatures to your garden with proper Plant selection. Here’s a little info on our guest speaker Mrs. Betty Stephens –
Mrs. Betty is a Master Gardener and Butterfly Enthusiast. She will start us off with a great Garden Workshop about Host Plants, nectar plants and how they work with the Butterflies in your Garden. The class will be followed by a Q & A with Mrs. Betty & Mark Carter (landscape designer at Carters Nursery).
Then we will be working with Mrs. Betty & Mrs. Jo doing a LIVE butterfly release in the Butterfly House.
Set your calendars & don’t miss this AWESOME Educational Workshop! As a matter of fact – Bring the whole family! Your KIDS will love this!
WHEN – Saturday, June 4th. Starting at 9am. The Presentation will run approximately 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
WHERE – Carter’s Nursery, Pond & Patio – 2846 Old Medina Rd. Jackson TN. 38305 For more info call – 731-424-2206
WHAT – We will learn about our beautiful friend, the Butterfly! We will learn about the life-cycle of the Butterfly, their host plants, their impact on our environment and how to attract them to YOUR GARDEN! Butterflies AND Butterfly Plants will be available at the workshop. AND there will be a LIVE BUTTERFLY RELEASE during the Program!
HOW DO I REGISTER – It’s Easy! AND It’s Free! Just call the Nursery at 731-424-2206. Tell them how many will be with your group and your done! There will be a limited # of butterflies available for kids to release – IF you want to be on this list, CALL ASAP! These slots will fill quickly. Bring a folding lawn chair if you like. I hope to see you all there! It’s going to be AWESOME!
PS: Bring a CAMERA! Unbelievable photo opps!
Filed under: General Blog Entry's, water garden | Tags: Garden Tour, Pond Tour
Spring Pond Tour 2016
May 14th.(Saturday) – The ‘Spring’ Pond Tour is our 1st. Pond Tour of the season! Our Spring Pond Tour is always the Saturday after Mother’s Day & is always a FUN and Beautiful Day! The Spring Pond Tour is a Self Guided Tour, so you can move from stop to stop at your own pace and really enjoy all the Gardens on the Pond Tour.
The Spring Pond Tour is a Fundraiser for the Jackson Humane Society. We have been holding this garden tour for 18 years and counting for our local Humane Society and we hope you will come out and join us and help us raise some money for this worth cause. The tour starts at 9am.& goes until 4pm. Carters Nursery Pond & Patio is “Pond Central” for the Pond Tour and we invite you to come by throughout the day to sit a spell, have a drink & something to eat and look at all the BEAUTIFUL Gardens and Water Features.
What: Spring Pond Tour to benefit the JMCHS
Where: Jackson, Tn. 38305 (Various locations) Get tickets at Carters Nursery, Pond & Patio.
When: Saturday, May 14th. 9am. till 4pm.
How do I get tickets? Pick up your tickets at Carters Nursery 2846 Old Medina Rd. Jackson, Tn. 38305. Tickets are $10 ea. (kids under 12 are FREE!). 100% of ALL ticket sales & donations go to the Humane Society!
Carter’s Nursery, Pond & Patio
2846 Old Medina Rd.
Jackson, Tn. 38305
Filed under: Outdoor Lifestyles, Videos | Tags: Petting Zoo, Pond Maintenance Class, Spring Expo, Water Garden Maintenance
Filed under: Outdoor Lifestyles, water garden | Tags: Spring Expo, Water Garden
2016 Spring Fest. & Aquatic Workshop
Jackson, Tn. – Come join us at Carter’s Nursery, Pond & Patio for our annual Spring Fest.! We will have lots of fun and informative things to take part in!
Bring the kids and let them pet the animals at our ‘Petting Zoo’. There will also be Pony Rides available for the kids.
For the Adults – We will have several opportunities for you to learn all about Water Gardens! You can get all the information you will need to Design, Build and Maintain a Beautiful Water Garden, Pondless Waterfall or Koi Pond of your own. So if you have a Water Feature and want to learn more about it, the Aquatic Plants available, Pond Fish like Koi, Comets & Shubunkins, etc. you will Love it! AND, if you don’t have a Water Garden, but have been wanting to find out more about them, this is for you too!
Everyone loves to learn more about their pond. Even the kids
Classes will start around 9am. and will go all the way through till 2pm. We will perform a ‘Hands on’ cleanout of 2 Ponds on site! You can actually see all the work being done, learn and ask questions right there on the spot! We will also have a discussion on Water Garden Design and “How To” Implement one in YOUR Landscape!
We will cover the basics of Aquatic Plants and discuss how you can introduce more Aquatic Plants in your Waterscape AND your Landscape.
People gather around to learn the secrets of ‘How To’ build a Waterfall. AND how to take care of your Pond.
I will be cooking lunch for all that come, my treat! I’m fixing Hot Dogs and Smoked Sausage with ALL the fixings! We will also be firing up the Saffire Grill to cook some special things. We will have chips and cookies and more! This is my favorite part of the show because I get to grill & cook!
We are gonna cook up some good food!
Mark it on the calendar and come out and see us!
What: Carters Nursery, Pond & Patios Annual Spring Festival & Aquatic Workshop
Where: Carters Nursery, Pond & Patio – 2846 Old Medina Rd. in Jackson, Tn.
When: Saturday, April 9th. from 9am till 2pm.
WHY should I come? It’s going to be a FUN filled day for the whole family! AND it’s FREE! Petting Zoo & Pony Rides for the kids! BIG SALES for the Spring Season and “How To” Classes by the best in the Biz.!
For more information give us a call : # 731-424-2206 or http://www.cartercountry.com/ Y’all Come!
~ Mark Carter
Filed under: General Blog Entry's, Landscaping & Gardening, Outdoor Lifestyles | Tags: Gardening, Mulch, Spring Gardening
I have posted this before as a helpful reminder for Spring. It’s time to get out in the garden!
Question : What do I do to get my Garden ready for Spring?
The simple Answer is : Lots of things!
I Have been asked this question so many times… We have had some fun talking about working in your garden on local TV & radio and have given out some good advice for sure. So this little list is for all the folks who don’t have time to make notes.
Of course clean up is job 1! Rake up those leaves and sticks and debris from the fall and winter. This is so important for the success of your garden! Not only is all that debris unattractive, it can be a home for overwintering insects as well as fungi that can get right back on your plants.
– Trimming and Pruning! This is a great time of year to get out there and do some trimming. Cut back you Roses, Ornamental Grasses, Perennials, and most Ornamental Shrubs like hollies and boxwoods. Not azaleas yet… Wait until they have bloomed to trim these Limb up those trees in the landscape and along the borders too. Many people ask me WHEN to prune their Crape Myrtles, IF you haven’t already, do it now – It’s time!
– Spray you fruit trees! Start out with a good Dormant Oil spray. Mix as directed on the label and spray well. This is the first step in a Spray program and is well worth the effort!
– Prepare your Soil in the Vegetable Garden! This is a wonderful time to clean up your vegetable garden! Clean out old plants and weeds, till the soil and add some good organic amendments – Chicken Poop, Black Cow manure, lime, Epson Salt, Mushroom Compost and Earthworm Castings. After you till your garden space, rake it out and plant some cool season vegetables like turnips, collards, carrots, radish, and the cool season list goes on…
– Fertilize! This is a great time to fertilize your Shrubs and Trees! This is a great time to fertilize your cool season lawns too. You can use a good balanced fertilizer like 15-15-15 for most chores or you can “Go Green” with a Organic fertilizer like Milorganite. Another GREAT Organic choice is to side dress your shrubs, trees & other plants with Composted Manure! Chicken Poop is my favorite and we have it available at the Nursery.
– Mulch! Aged Hardwood Bark Mulch is the most popular for ornamentals. But there are other great mulches too! Like pine bark, pine needles, cypress mulch, lava rock and decorative gravel. All these are great and really help your plants – it keeps weeds down and looks beautiful, it stabilizes soil temperature, protects the root system, protects the trunk of your trees from mechanical damage from mowers and string trimmers and much more! Mulch is the answer.
– Planting! This is an awesome time to plant most any ornamental plants in your landscape! Trees, shrubs, bulbs and more! Get your plan together, go by the nursery and get those beautiful plants in the ground.
OK, I just gave you LOTS to do…. Lets get out there and enjoy the coming season!
Here’s to Spring!
~ Mark Carter
Filed under: Outdoor Lifestyles, Videos, water garden | Tags: Gardening, Mulch, Pond Cleaning Supplies, Spring Gardening